The activity of Odesa International Medical University (OIMU) is also aimed at training doctors-interns, upgrading their skills and the specialization of doctors in such specialties as Medicine and Pharmacy. In order to extend, to broaden and refresh professional knowledge and skills or to become specialized in another field based on previous qualification and practical experience, students have professional training at the Educational and Scientific Institute of Postgraduate Education of OIMU.
Postgraduate education is a system of upgrading skills for people who have already obtained diplomas of higher education.
The law of Ukraine “About education” determines postgraduate education as “specialized improvement of education and professional training of a person by means of extending, broadening and refreshing his/her knowledge and skills on the basis of already gained higher education (specialty) or professional and technical education (profession)”.
According to the law of Ukraine “About higher education”, official bodies of postgraduate education are:
- Listener – a person who gets additional or separate educational services in the programs of postgraduate education (of any field or specialty including scientists and teachers).
- Intern has master’s degree of medical or pharmaceutical referral, studies to obtain doctor’s qualification according to the list of specialties of internship.
- Resident has master’s degree in medicine, studies exceptionally at certain clinical departments for obtaining doctor’s qualification according to the list of specialties of residency.
- Medical resident, also a master of medicine and a doctor of a certain specialty, studies to extend his/her professional knowledge, increase his/her level of competence of a doctor-specialist.
You may gain your postgraduate education with the help of specialization, retraining (especially gaining of the second higher education), increasing qualification, internship. The most well-known educational service in the sphere of postgraduate education in Ukraine is gaining the second higher education based on the first specialization.
The main forms of postgraduate education are as follows:
- Internship is a necessary form of primary specialization of people of medical (pharmaceutical) specialties.
- Residency is a specialization of doctors-specialists in certain medical specialties at exceptionally clinical departments for getting the qualification doctor-specialist.
- Clinical residency – upgrading of skills for doctors-specialists who had internship and/or residency.
Highly qualified specialists, well-known scientists, academics, professors, honored teachers of Ukraine, candidates and doctors of sciences work at the Educational and Scientific Institute of Postgraduate Education of OIMU. It is absolutely involved in improving postgraduate medical education at Odesa International Medical University and some other issues related to postgraduate education. The issue of improving the quality of training for doctors-interns is constantly emphasized.